Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Candle warning follows outbuilding blaze

Candle warning follows outbuilding blaze

Fire-damaged outbuilding
13 July 2015
Smoke and heat damaged window

Firefighters are warning resident to take extra care with candles and tea-lights after a fire in Hartnup Street, Maidstone today (13 July).

Two fire engines attended the scene at around midday and fire crews in breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to put out a fire in an outbuilding of at the rear of a three-storey terraced house.

Crews managed to prevent the blaze from spreading to the first floor of the house. One of the rear exterior window frames was damaged by heat and smoke. A positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the property.

Station manager Stuart Albon, who attended the incident, said: "The fire is believed to have possibly been caused by a tea light that had been placed on an appliance in the outbuilding which was used as a utility area.  

He added: "We would like to remind residents to take extra care with tea lights and candles, to never leave them unattended and to ensure that they are placed on a heat proof surface in a purposely designed holder."

For further fire safety advice visit our candle fire safety pages.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon