Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
''Don't cook up trouble'' warn firefighters

''Don't cook up trouble'' warn firefighters

31 July 2015

Margate firefighters are issuing a strong warning to residents to take more care in the kitchen following an incident in Ramsgate Road today (Friday).

Kent Fire and Rescue Service's Emergency Control Centre received the 999 call at 1.15pm and firefighters arrived on the scene within three minutes of the call.

Crew manager Steve Quincey said: “It appears a girl in her late teens and her younger brother were making themselves some lunch. They inadvertently turned the hob on without realising it and left the room. Meanwhile, the heat ignited the contents of a frying pan stored on top of the hob, filling the property with thick, acrid smoke.

“Fortunately, the property had working smoke alarms which did their job and alerted the pair to the danger. They did exactly the right thing, left their home without going to investigate and phoned us. They were waiting outside their home and waved the fire engine down as it approached.”

No firefighting action was needed but crews checked for fire spread using a thermal imaging camera and ventilated the flat.

Steve added: “When using hot ovens, grills and pans even a momentary lapse of concentration can have potentially devastating consequences, putting you, your family and your home at serious risk.”

He continued: “I would like to remind residents to think carefully about what they are doing when they are cooking at home and would encourage people to follow the safety tips below to help prevent fire from taking your life or your home:”

COOKING SAFETY TIPS:

  • Never fill a pan more than one third full of oil or fat

  • Never leave a pan or grill unattended, when the heat is switched on

  • Never put food in a pan if the oil begins to smoke.

  • Turn off the heat and leave the oil to cool

  • Clean grill pans, ovens and hobs regularly to prevent build up of oil or fat which can catch fire

IF A COOKING FIRE OCCURS:

  • Do not move the object on fire - burns last a lifetime
  • Turn off the heat if it is safe to do so, but never lean over the pan to reach the cooker controls

  • Get out, get the fire service out and stay out!

The occupants were unharmed, the frying pan destroyed and the kitchen heavily smoke damaged. Crews gave the pair fire safety advice and will be delivering fire safety information to neighbouring properties.

You can get more information on the importance of fire safety in the home or speak to one of our home safety advisors today - call freephone, or email us. All our services are free of charge.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon