Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Embers from chiminea spark fire

Embers from chiminea spark fire

22 July 2015

Discarded ashes from a chiminea are being blamed for setting fire to fencing, a lamp post, two wheelie bins and a children’s playhouse in Larkfield at the weekend.

Firefighters were called out at 10.38am on Sunday (19 July) to the home in Heron Road, Larkfield and used a hose reel to tackle the fire. The Highways Agency also attended to isolate the electric supply to the lamp post.

Larkfield Crew Manager, Chris Phipps, said: “The resident had lit the chiminea on Saturday evening, leaving the ashes to cool overnight. He lifted them into a plastic wheelie bin on Sunday morning.

“Unfortunately, ashes that seem cold on the surface may still be hot deep inside and in this case, when the man moved them, they were given oxygen and fuel in the form of recycling in the wheelie bin – all the perfect ingredients for the fire to smoulder and spread.

“If you’re using a chiminea, barbecue or have a bonfire in your garden this summer, please dispose of the ashes and coals carefully. Douse them with water, put them into a metal container and once cool, empty them onto bare soil, not into a plastic bin.”

You can get more safety tips to help keep your home and family safe around barbecues and bonfires you can also download our FREE children's Byrnes family summer safety activity sheet.

Watch the latest campaign video from KFRS about barbecue and bonfire safety: 'Out of control - keep your inner caveman fire safe'.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon