Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Kitchen fires spark fresh safety warning

Kitchen fires spark fresh safety warning

1 July 2015

"Take care in the kitchen" is the message from Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) after 11 callouts in June in the North Kent area.

In the latest incident, fire crews were called to Bush Road, Cuxton on 25 June after a resident burnt her fingers while extinguishing a chip pan fire. Two fire engines from Strood and Larkfield were sent to the property just before 6pm. The fire was out on arrival, however, the house was heavily smoke logged and crews used a special fan to clear smoke and fumes from the property. The woman was given oxygen therapy and first aid at the scene.

KFRS Station Manager, Dean Firmin, said: "Fortunately no one was seriously injured in these incidents, however they demonstrate how fire can breakout when you least expect it."  

Other callous since the start of the month include:

  • Darnley Road, Strood on 24 June, after oil in an oven ignited. The occupier attempted to extinguish it using water and burnt her finger. Fire crews administered first aid and gave advice safety advice.

  • A flat in Brompton, Gillingham had to be ventilated by firefighters on 22 June just after 4.30pm after the elderly resident left a facecloth and sock on top of a cooker and accidentally turned the knob on, setting light to the items. The man put the small fire out but the property was heavily smoke logged.

  • Kitchen units were damaged after a resident fell asleep leaving a pan of oil on the cooker in Trafalgar Street, Gillingham on 22 June at 2.10am. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a high pressure hose reel to extinguish the fire in a ground floor kitchen.

  • Crews were called to reports of a smoke filled kitchen in Church Road, Eastchurch on 19 June at 5.34pm. The elderly resident was treated for the effects of breathing in smoke by KFRS. A small amount of the kitchen was destroyed by fire which was caused after an electric slow cooker was placed on a lit gas hob.

  • Fire crews were called to Todd Crescent, Kemsley on 17 June after an oven glove was accidentally left on top of the cooker top. Fortunately the elderly resident smelt smoke and got out of his home to safety. A neighbour used a water extinguisher to put the small fire out and crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the fumes.

  • A hob and cupboards were destroyed by fire in Coniston Close on 16 June after the resident accidentally turned the cooker on after placing a washing basket full of clothes on the hob. Washing was also left on the hob in Clarence Gardens, Sheerness on 13 June causing a small amount of fire damage to the kitchen and light smoke damage to the rest of the house.

  • A fat build up in an oven ignited causing a gas leak in the hob damaging gas pipework in Grove Road, Strood on 14 June. Firefighters isolated the power supply and made the scene safe.

  • A pan of oil was left unattended and ignited in a kitchen in Rock Avenue, Gillingham on 13 June. It set fire to the overhead extractor unit but the residents safely evacuated. Crews used a high pressure hose reel to tackle the blaze and a special fan to clear smoke from the building.

  • Firefighters were called to Maidstone Road, Rochester on 8 June after the occupier went out leaving a pan cooking on the hob. 

Dean added: "We’re urging residents to take extra care in the kitchen and  not to leave cooking unattended. We know that it’s tempting to use your hob as an extra storage area but it’s very easy for accidents to happen, so turning it off at the wall is always the best option. Keeping your oven, hob and grill clean will help avoid flare ups and grease fires in your kitchen.

"It’s also vital to make sure you fit smoke alarms on each floor of your home and test them regularly, so that they can give you early warning to a fire."

For further fire safety advice visit www.kent.fire-uk.org or contact Kent Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 923 7000.

 

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon