Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Paying attention prevents cooking fires

Paying attention prevents cooking fires

25 July 2015

Firefighters are reminding residents to keep looking when cooking to prevent kitchen fires following an incident in Folkestone today (Saturday).

Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) was called to Woodfield Close at 4.33pm, after a neighbour heard the smoke alarms sounding.

Fire crews arrived within minutes of receiving the 999 call and gained access to the house where they found a pan of eggs had been accidentally left to burn dry on the hob and exploded. The occupant was out at the time.

Folkestone Watch Manager, John Howard, said: “Fortunately there was no real damage, just a bit of a mess in the kitchen but it could have been a very different story, had the neighbour not heard the smoke alarm sounding and called us.

“It’s important that people realise that the vast majority of cooking fires are preventable because they happen when people leave food to cook unattended. It only takes a matter of minutes for a pan to boil over, so make sure you stand by your pan and if you have to leave the room, switch the heat off.”

Fire crews isolated the power while the neighbour contacted the occupant, who was given home safety advice by firefighters. Crews also delivered fire safety advice to neighbouring homes.

John added: “Once again, this incident highlights the benefit of having working smoke alarms in your home, they can and do help save lives and should be an essential part of a home fire escape plan. Phone our Home Safety Team for free on 0800 923 7000 for free advice and to see if your eligible for a fee home safety visit.”

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon