Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Fire narrowly averted in newlyweds home

Fire narrowly averted in newlyweds home

Vicki and Gregg Board

25 June 2015

Newlywed fire-fighting couple, Vicki and Greg Board are highlighting the dangers posed by E-cigarette chargers, after one started smouldering while it was being charged in their Tonbridge home last week.

Vicki, who is a Watch Manager at Kent Fire and Rescue Service’s Thames-side fire station and Greg, who is a Crew Manager at Dartford fire station, had just returned from their honeymoon and were cooking dinner at the time.

Vicki explained: "We smelt burning and knew it wasn’t the dinner! It took us a few minutes to work out where the burning plastic smell was coming from and we quickly unplugged the charger and took it outside to cool.

"Sadly, in our job we see the devastating effects of fire all too often, so we only leave items charging when we’re at home. Fortunately for us we were there at the time but some people leave things charging while they are away from their homes."

Greg added: "We were very lucky and able to react quickly but others might not be. I dread to think what could’ve happened to our home and possessions.

"The casing around the charger had already started to melt and the device was smouldering, so it wouldn’t have been much longer before it spread to the worktops."

"Please only charge electrical devices when you’re at home and always read and retain the instructions. It’s also vital that you have working smoke alarms in your home, they really are life savers, as they give early warning to a fire."

If you need advice on how to keep your family and home safe from fire, get in touch contact us on 0800 923 7000.

Melted E-cigarette charger
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon