Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Smoke-logged flats prompts late night cooking warning

Smoke-logged flats prompts late night cooking warning

2 June 2015

Incident involving a burnt pie has prompted Folkestone firefighters to issue a warning to residents about the dangers of late-night cooking, especially after a night out.

This follows a callout to a flat in Augusta Gardens on Saturday morning (30 May) after several residents reported smoke logging in their homes. After checking several smoke-logged flats, crews traced the source of the smoke to a ground-floor property.

After several unsuccessful attempts to raise the occupants, crews needed to force entry to the property.

Watch Manager John Howard said: "We discovered smoke billowing from an oven and, on further investigation, found it to contain the remains of a pie that had been burnt to a crisp.

Two female occupants, who had been asleep when crews entered flat, emerged from a bedroom, apparently unaware to the smoke in the flat. It appears that the residents had come back in the early hours of the morning from a night out and put the pie in the oven to cook but had then fallen asleep.

Watch Manger Howard said: "Fortunately, no one was injured as a result of this incident, however this incident could have had a serious outcome, due to all the smoke that was generated, especially if neighbours hadn’t raised the alarm or a fire had developed."

"As this incident highlights, it is never a safe option to come home and start cooking after a night out. When you return home peckish it might be tempting, but cooking late at night when tired or impaired by alcohol can be a lethal combination. I recommend that residents pre-plan before they go out and have food in the house that doesn’t require cooking. Failing that, consider a takeaway."

He added: "It was particularly concerning that some of the properties we visited as a result of this incident didn’t have working smoke alarms. These provide vital early warning in the event of a fire, giving you precious time to make your escape."

Crews used a specialised positive pressure ventilation fan to extract smoke from the properties. They also fitted smoke alarms in the flat, as the alarms were not working. They also offered fire safety advice and fitted smoke alarms in some of the neighbouring flats that also had no working smoke alarms.

If you would like further free advice on keeping safe from fire please visit our safety pages on the KFRS website or call 0800 9237000 (free from most landlines).

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon