Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Woman injured tackling chip pan fire in Gravesend

Woman injured tackling chip pan fire in Gravesend

9 June 2015

Help keep your kitchen safe from chip pan fires

Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) has issued a safety warning after a woman was injured while tackling a chip pan fire at a flat in Gravesend last night (8 June).

Fire crews were called to reports of a kitchen fire in a second floor flat in Laburnum Grove just after 10pm.

Two fire engines from Thames-side Fire Station were sent to the property, the first arriving within five minutes of the call. The woman, thought to be about 40 years old and her six-year-old daughter had left their home and were with a neighbour. 

Watch Manager, Ian Crouch said: "It is believed that a chip pan was left cooking unattended and caught alight. When the woman discovered the small fire, she carried the burning pan of hot oil over to her kitchen sink and poured cold water on the flames, causing it to flare up, unfortunately it burnt her face, neck and hands."

Firefighters made the scene safe and administered first aid to the woman. She was then taken to hospital by the ambulance service. The kitchen had minor smoke damage.

Ian added: "A moment’s distraction while cooking can have disastrous consequences. Most cooking fires are the result of food catching alight after being left for too long on the hob or under the grill. Always stand by your pan and never attempt to tackle a chip pan fire using water. If the oil has overheated; don’t attempt to move the pan, turn the heat off if it’s safe to do so, cover it with a lid and leave it to cool down. "

If you would like more free advice to help you and your love ones safe from fire please visit our safety pages or call us, its free from landlines. 

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon