Strood’s fire crews have praised the quick thinking actions of a Rochester man after fire broke out in a first floor bedroom last night (Wednesday 12 March).
The Tupman Close resident was at home with her partner and two teenage children just after 9.30pm, when one of the teenagers shouted down from an upstairs bedroom that he could smell smoke. The man rushed upstairs, closed the door on the fire and put a towel down to prevent the smoke from coming up underneath the door. He then got the family out of the house, switched the main electrical supply off on his way out and called the fire service.
Strood Watch Manager, Alan Brown, said: "His actions were potentially life-saving and certainly helped save the rest of the house. He did exactly the right thing and his level headedness prevented the situation from becoming far worse."
Two fire engines from Strood and Medway and ten firefighters attended the blaze. Crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to put the fire out, a thermal imaging camera to check for hot spots and a special fan to clear smoke and fumes from the house.
The man, who had recently completed a fire safety course at work, described how he went into autopilot and was glad that he was able to make good use of his training. He also expressed his thanks to the firefighters at the scene, remarking on how they arrived within minutes and what a fantastic job they did.
The blaze is believed to have been due to a fault in a TV, causing extensive damage to the bedroom and minor smoke damage to the first floor.
The property also had hard-wired smoke alarms which activated when the bedroom door on the fire was opened.