A quick thinking neighbour dialled Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) this morning, (Wednesday) after smelling smoke in her neighbour’s Gillingham home.
Two fire engines from Medway were sent to the house in Seaview Road just before 10.30am, the first arrived within three minutes of the 999 call. Fire crews had to force entry into the property and discovered that a faulty extractor fan in a ground floor bathroom had caught alight and fallen onto some towels. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire using a hose reel.
Medway Watch Manager, Paul Nash said: “After smelling smoke in her own home and hearing the smoke alarm sounding, the neighbour went to investigate and could see what looked like smoke through the window. She did exactly the right thing and called us.
“Had the fire been left to burn there is no telling how bad the damage may have been but having working smoke alarms in your home really does make the difference. In the event of a fire they will not just alert anyone in the home, but also close neighbours and passers-by and in this incident, the early warning also reduced the amount of damage caused.”
The bathroom walls and ceilings were blackened with smoke and there was a limited amount of smoke damage to the kitchen and lounge.
Paul added: “We want to make sure that all homes in Kent and Medway have working smoke alarms - it’s the best protection you can have against fire. We offer free safety advice and services to everyone. Speak to one of our home safety advisors today - call Freephone 0800 923 7000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org“