Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Sevenoaks firefighter issues warning over using candles

Sevenoaks firefighter issues warning over using candles

Monday 11 May 2015

A Sevenoaks firefighter is urging residents to be extra careful when using candles, following a fire in Riverhead at the weekend.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a fire in a property on Saturday 9 May at 9.22pm, where the owner had left a candle unattended; which set fire to her curtains. However the owner of the property in Chipstead Lane extinguished the fire, before firefighters arrived, using buckets of water. The small fire caused damage to the window, curtains and a table.

Watch Manager Danny Barrett said: ‘Luckily nobody was injured in this incident; it could have been a lot worse. We have attended incidents where a candle has been to blame for severe damage to a property and sometimes even worse.

He offered some advice about candle safety:

‘Whether using candles for light or decoration, it’s really important that people ensure the flame is fully out before going to bed or leaving the room – never leave a lighted candle unattended.’

  • Candles should be fitted in a candle holder and placed on a non-flammable surface.

  • Do not leave burning candles unattended – especially with children or pets in the house.

  • Do not place burning candles close to curtains, bedding or clothing which might catch fire.

  • Do not place burning candles on window sills or on the floor

  • Extinguish all candles before going to bed

  • Do not place burning candles where they might be knocked over

Danny also made an appeal for residents to check their smoke alarms: ‘Having a working smoke alarm will give you an early warning to a fire and allow you time to get out. I would also advise people to check their smoke alarm regularly. If you haven’t got one, please make it your next purchase – it might save your life! Or see if you’re eligible for a KFRS home safety visit.’

For free fire safety advice and to see if you are eligible for a home safety visit, please call KFRS on 0800 923 7000 or email home@kent.fire-uk.org

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon