Firefighters are warning residents to take extra care in the kitchen, following a chip pan fire in Folkestone in the early hours of this morning (25 November).
Crews were called to a fire in the kitchen of a flat in Shakespeare Terrace , after the pan overheated and caught alight.
It appears that a resident had fallen asleep after starting to cook some chips and was woken when the smoke alarm started sounding.
He quickly smothered the pan with a damp towel, before leaving the flat and raising the alarm. He alerted neighbouring residents who also evacuated their homes.
Two fire engines attended the incident and crews wearing breathing apparatus removed the pan from the stove, isolated the electrics and made the scene safe.
Firefighters then used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear smoke from the flat and communal areas.
The man was attended to by an ambulance crew but didn’t require hospital treatment.
The heat from the fire caused the cooker knobs to melt and parts of the kitchen were damaged by fire and smoke.
Folkestone watch manager John Howard said: "Our advice would be to take extra care in the kitchen and to avoid leaving pans unattended. We would also recommend against cooking when you are tired or late at night - instead opt for a snack that doesn’t require cooking."
He added: "This incident highlights just how vital a working smoke alarm is in alerting you to a fire in your home. In this case, the occupant was able to get out safely and also able to warn his neighbours."
The fire crew checked the smoke alarms in the other flats in the building and distributed some fire safety advice to local residents.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service provide a range of free safety advice and services to residents.