A couple have their working smoke alarm to thank after it woke them to a fire in their Faversham home this morning.
When the alarm sounded they discovered the airing cupboard in their bedroom was alight and attempted to smother it with wet bedding before escaping to safety and phoning the fire service at 6.05am.
Two fire engines from Faversham were sent to the terraced property in East Street and a breathing apparatus team went into the house. A hose reel and positive pressure ventilation (PPV) fan were used to put the fire out and thermal imaging cameras to check for fire spread. The PPV fan was then used to clear smoke from the house and a neighbouring property.
Faversham Crew Manager, Pete Yarwood who attended the incident, said: "It appears the fire was caused after a bedside lamp was left on in the airing cupboard. It is believed that clothes fell onto the lamp and caught alight, spreading to the rest of the airing cupboard.
"Fortunately, the working smoke alarm did its job and gave the couple the early warning they needed and neither of them were harmed. Without the alarm, the fire could have gone undetected and it only takes a few breaths of fire smoke to leave you unconscious and unable to escape. That’s why you need to do everything you can to stack the odds in your favour. Fit working smoke alarms and test them regularly, plan your escape route and make sure everyone in your home knows it."
Fire damage was limited to the airing cupboard and its contents. The remainder of the first floor was damaged by heat and smoke.
Pete ended: "Smoke alarms really do save lives - they are the best protection you can have against fire in your home. That's why we offer free safety advice and services to everyone. Speak to one of our home safety advisors today - call Freephone or email us. All our services are free of charge."