Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Dartford family escape dishwasher fire

Dartford family escape dishwasher fire

22 October 2015

A Dartford family had to leave their beds and vacate their home during the night after their dishwasher caught alight.

Fortunately, the woman and her children were alerted to the fact that something was wrong by a heat alarm sounding in their kitchen at around 12.35am. On discovering her kitchen full of smoke, the woman led her children out of their Knole Road home to safety and phoned 999.

Two fire engines from Dartford fire station arrived at the house within minutes and firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hose reel to put the fire out.

Watch Manager, Vince Lewis said: "Fortunately the working alarm did its job and provided this family with the vital warning and the precious minutes needed to get out of their home safely.

"The kitchen was full of smoke so we used a special fan to clear it and we pumped out water that had leaked from the melted plastic dishwasher pipe with a grindex pump."

The dishwasher was completely destroyed; the fire also damaged kitchen units, clothing and a washing machine. Fire crews provided fire safety advice to the family before leaving the scene at around 1.45am.

Vince added: "We’re committed to helping people stay safe and one of the ways we do this is by carrying out home safety visits to those who are most at risk from fires in their homes. We offer free safety advice and services to everyone so give us a call (it’s free from a landline) or email us - our specially trained staff can visit your home and give you advice on how you can reduce the risk of a fire in your home."

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon