Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Tumble dryer sparks Edenbridge flat blaze

Tumble dryer sparks Edenbridge flat blaze

18 October 2015

A tumble dryer fire is thought to be to blame for a fire that destroyed an Edenbridge flat and resulted in a man being taken to hospital with smoke inhalation on Friday morning, (16 October).

Six fire engines, three from Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) and three from Surry Fire and Rescue Service and KFRS's bulk water carrier were sent to the blaze at 2.35am, in Wayside Drive, after the central alarm system sounded. 

Firefighters from Edenbridge fire station were first on the scene and quickly got to work using a covering jet to stop the fire spreading to neighbouring properties. Meanwhile, Sevenoaks firefighters in breathing apparatus went into the fourth floor flat and used a main jet to bring the fire under control assisted by Surrey’s crews. 

Sevenoaks Crew Manager, Neil Thornewell said: "The occupant of the flat - a man thought to be in his early 40's was taken to hospital for precautionary checks.”

By 4.28am the incident was scaled down to three KFRS fire engines and crews started damping down and turning over. A thermal imaging camera was used to check for remaining hot spots and the water supply and electrics to two properties were isolated.

Neil added: “We carried out salvage work and retrieved personal effects from the flat below for a woman and her baby who have also had to be rehoused temporarily."

Fire crews were on the scene until 6.30am.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon