Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive > News releases 2016 > April 2016 > Smokey with no chance of meatballs
Smokey with no chance of meatballs

Smokey with no chance of meatballs

A pan of meatballs is believed to have caught fire on a hob

13 April 2016

A family tea time ended in disaster on Monday (11 April) when a pan of meatballs caught fire in Wye.

Crews were called to a house in Abbots Walk at 4.45pm and put out a fire in the kitchen involving a hob and a grill.

A woman in her forties and two children were alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm sounding on the ground floor of the property. On discovering the fire, the residents left the house and called 999. 

It is believed that the fire started as a result of cooking that was left unattended on the hob.

The cooker was completely destroyed and the house was lightly smoke logged.

Ashford Watch Manager Mark Thomas said: “Fortunately no one was hurt as a result of this incident, but it does highlight how easily unattended cooking can lead to a fire and how essential it is to have working smoke alarms in your home to alert you to a fire.

“Without smoke alarms the fire could have gone undetected for longer, leading to more damage and possible injury to the occupants.”

 Crews offered some fire safety advice to the residents and also fitted an additional smoke alarms on the first floor of their home.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon