Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive > News releases 2016 > August 2016 > Barbecue briquettes spark blaze in Broadstairs compost bin
Barbecue briquettes spark blaze in Broadstairs compost bin

Barbecue briquettes spark blaze in Broadstairs compost bin

16 August 2016

A family barbecue in Broadstairs almost ended in disaster overnight, after barbecue briquettes sparked a fire in a compost bin stored against the side of a timber framed extension on the house.

Fortunately, the Northdown Road residents were woken by the sound of their kitchen window cracking due to the heat from the fire and phoned 999 just before 5am. The family left their property and waited outside for the fire service to arrive, while the man attempted to put out the flames using a garden hose.

Two fire engines from Margate and Ramsgate were sent to the house, arriving within five minutes of receiving the emergency call.

Margate Crew Manager, Gary Miller explained what happened next: “We extinguished the remaining fire using a hose reel jet and used a thermal imaging camera to check for fire spread and hot spots within the voids of the timber framed extension. This handheld device has a special camera which reads temperatures and a screen which shows us hot areas by red patches. It’s a really useful piece of kit for locating a fire if it’s not obvious from outside the building.

The small fire cracked the kitchen window and caused damage to soffits, facia and guttering.

Gary ended: “Luckily the residents woke when they did, as there were no working smoke alarms in the house to wake them from their sleep. These life-saving devices are essential in every home and your first defence against fire. You can get in touch today for free advice to help keep your family and home safe from fire.

“I would also recommend that compost and other bins of this kind are not kept next to buildings, fencing and decking areas. This will help to reduce the risk of fire spread should a fire occur.”

Fire crews fitted two working smoke alarms in the property before leaving at around 5.30am.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon