Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive > News releases 2016 > August 2016 > Woman and dog given oxygen therapy following Dartford kitchen fire
Woman and dog given oxygen therapy following Dartford kitchen fire

Woman and dog given oxygen therapy following Dartford kitchen fire

KFRS takes delivery of pet oxygen masks at Smiths Medical in Ashford.jpg

11 August 2016

What distracts you from your cooking?

A dog is thought to have sparked a fire in a Dartford flat by turning on the electric hob.

The resident of the second floor flat in Browning Road is believed to have been moving items around in her kitchen and had temporarily placed a microwave on the hob. Her pet dog, Beau is believed to have jumped up and knocked the dial sparking the blaze which filled the flat with black smoke and destroyed the microwave.

Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) was alerted to the fire around 5.15pm and two fire engines from Dartford rushed to the property, arriving within minutes of receiving the 999 call.

Dartford Watch Manager, John Allwright explained: "Fortunately an off-duty London firefighter who lives nearby was able to assist before we arrived. He put the fire out and took the woman and her dog to safety.

"We gave oxygen therapy to the young woman and to Beau using our new pet oxygen mask as they had both inhaled fire smoke. This can cause your lungs and airways to become irritated, swollen and blocked and in severe cases can make you lose consciousness.

"We’re pleased that no one was seriously hurt but would always advise against storing items on top of cookers as accidents can easily happen but if you have no alternative, please switch appliances off at the wall beforehand. If you have pets try to keep them away from naked flames or cooker controls."

KFRS now has pet oxygen masks on most of its fire engines. These have been provided by not-for-profit organisation, Smokey Paws funded by donations by individuals, businesses and charities. A full set of masks costs £90 and every penny given counts towards helping pets. You can get involved by contacting Smokey Paws.

Find out more about keeping fire safe in your kitchen.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon