Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive > News releases 2016 > December 2016 > Hot ash starts shed fire in Leybourne
Hot ash starts shed fire in Leybourne

Hot ash starts shed fire in Leybourne

21 December 2016

Firefighters are reminding people to dispose of hot ashes carefully after a shed was destroyed in Leybourne this afternoon (Wednesday).

Fire crews were alerted to the blaze by the resident who spotted her shed was on fire from her kitchen window at around 1.20pm.

Two fire engines from Larkfield and Borough Green were sent to the house in Woodlea, where crews used a hose reel to put the fire out.

Larkfield Crew Manager, Julian Hartley said: “It appears that the residents thought the ashes from their log burner were sufficiently cool to store in their garden shed. Unfortunately, ashes that appear cool on the outside are often hot deep inside and can retain the heat for a considerable time. The ashes smouldered slowly spreading to logs and patio furniture, stored in the shed.

“It’s always advisable to douse ashes and embers with cold water, then store them in a metal bin, away from sheds, fences and buildings until they are completely cool enough to be emptied onto bare soil.”

Fire crews left the property at around 1.45pm.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon