Kent Fire and Rescue Service extinguished a loft fire in a New Ash Green home this morning (Thursday).
Firefighters were called to the property in Bazes Shaw just before 5.30am, after the resident smelt smoke and phoned 999. Two children were taken to a family member's home nearby, while their parents awaited the arrival of fire crews.
Two fire engines attended and Crew Manager, Chay Luchford said: “Our breathing apparatus team went into the terraced house with a thermal imaging camera and were quickly able to locate the fire in the loft space. We had to remove the loft insulation to get to the fire, which we believe started in extractor fan ducting that ran through the loft to the bathroom.
“Fortunately, the resident woke when he did, because there were no working smoke alarms in the house to alert the family to the fire. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have these small life saving devices on every floor of your home and that you test them regularly. They can and do save lives and will stay awake while your family sleeps but will give you the early warning of a fire in your home.”
Damage was limited to the loft space and fire crews fitted working smoke alarms in the property. They also delivered fire safety advice to neighbouring properties before leaving the scene at around 6.45am.
Chay ended: “We offer free safety advice and services to everyone. Speak to one of our home safety advisors today - call freephone 0800 923 7000, or email us. All our services are free of charge.”