Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive > News releases 2016 > June 2016 > Kitchen mishap leads to hob fire
Kitchen mishap leads to hob fire

Kitchen mishap leads to hob fire

15 June 2016

Firefighters are warning residents to take extra care with electric hobs after a kitchen fire in Ashford this afternoon (15 June).

A resident was just about to leave her home in Bluebell Road, Kingsnorth when she spotted smoke coming from the kitchen.

She discovered a small fire involving some clothing that she had placed on her hob while doing some laundry.

It appears that the hob had accidently been switched on, setting light to the clothes.

The woman was able to put out the fire and when fire crews arrived, they used a special fan to clear smoke from the property.

Watch Manager Mark Thomas said: “Fortunately, the fire was discovered before it was able to spread and therefore the damage was minimal, however the incident highlights how easily a fire can break out and the need for people to take extra care around electric hobs.

“We regularly attend calls where items have caught fire after being placed on electric hobs, as they tend to get used as extra work surfaces and they either get left on or are switched on accidently. Such fires can be avoided by making sure you turn your electric hob off at the mains switch after use.”

Keep you and your family safe from fire with Kent Fire and Rescue Service's latest kitchen fire safety campaign.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon