Firefighters in Tunbridge Wells are reminding residents to take extra care in the kitchen and ensure they have smoke alarms, following a fire which led to a woman needing hospital treatment.
Firefighters were called to a two-storey terraced house in Auckland Road at 12.09pm and tackled a fire in the ground floor kitchen using a hose reel jet.
It appears that the fire was caused after an oven glove was left on a gas hob, setting it alight.
The fire was spotted by a passer-by, who raised the alarm.
There were no smoke alarms fitted in the property , which meant that the occupant didn’t realise there was a fire until smoke had spread throughout her home.
The woman, in her 70s, tried to tackle the fire herself, before being led to safety by a neighbour who had spelt smoke and gone round to investigate.
The woman was given oxygen therapy by crews before being taken to hospital by SECAmb.
The fire caused damage to the hob and the kitchen, as well as smoke damage throughout the property. Crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke.
Watch Manager Iain Gross said: “It is unfortunate that there were no working smoke alarms in the property, as these would have alerted the resident to the fire much sooner, allowing her to get out of the property before it had generated so much smoke and damage.
"I would urge all residents to ensure they have working smoke alarms on each floor of their homes and to make sure they test them weekly to so that they will raise the alarm in the event of a fire.”
He added: “I would also advise residents to pay particular care in the kitchen, to ensure that hobs and other appliances are turned off after use and to avoid placing flammable items on the hob that could lead to a fire.”
Keep you and your family safe with Kent Fire and Rescue Service's latest safety campaign.