Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive > News releases 2016 > May 2016 > Quick thinking resident averts a more serious incident in his home
Quick thinking resident averts a more serious incident in his home

Quick thinking resident averts a more serious incident in his home

11 May 2016

A vigilant resident from Bredgar,called Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) in the early hours of this morning after smelling smoke in his home.  

Not knowing the cause of the smell he didn’t waste any time dialling 999 at 1.41am today (Wednesday), to report that the electrics had gone in the house and there was a smell of smoke coming from the top of the stairs of his three-storey Parsonage Lane home.

Two fire engines from Sittingbourne were quickly on the scene and Watch Manager Neil Ryder, said: “When we arrived at the house, there was no smoke evident but all our fire engines carry an excellent piece of kit called a thermal image camera, which immediately pinpointed a very large hot spot in the middle of a first floor rear bedroom floor that wasn’t visible to the eye.”

Firefighters pulled back carpet and removed an area of floorboards to expose the joists below and found a large joist with a substantial degree of charring, which is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault. They were able to quickly damp down and cut away part of the joist, which provided reassurance to the couple.

Neil added: “Fortunately the couple woke and called us when they did as this could have been much worse and turned into a serious blaze, but their quick response made all the difference and meant the damage to their home was minimal.”

The property had working smoke alarms.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon