Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive > News releases 2016 > May 2016 > Youngster praised for quick-thinking during house fire
Youngster praised for quick-thinking during house fire

Youngster praised for quick-thinking during house fire

20 May 2016

An 11-year-old boy has been praised by firefighters for his swift actions following a blaze in his Rochester home last night (Thursday).

Jack Gove was in the lounge, when he smelt burning in their Yanlet Drive home just before 5pm.

He went to the kitchen door to investigate and could hear a crackling noise coming from behind the closed door. Jack rushed outside to look through the kitchen window and saw flames and lots of black smoke and immediately shouted to his mother. The pair left their home, phoning 999 as they went.

Fire crews from Strood and Rochester were sent to the property and Strood watch manager, Martin Simmons, said: "Jack should be very proud of himself, he did all the right things and was very sensible. His actions meant he and his mum managed to get out of their home safely.

"The blaze spread to an extractor fan and caused significant smoke damage to the kitchen but Jack's brave and decisive actions meant that they were uninjured the rest of their home was saved."

The fire started after the cooker was accidentally switched on, setting light to a linen basket full of clothes left on top of the hob.

Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus went into the house and used a hose reel to quickly put the fire out and a thermal image camera to check for fire spread.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon