Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News release archive > News releases 2017 > December 2017 > Swanley woman given oxygen therapy after electric blanket fire in her home
Swanley woman given oxygen therapy after electric blanket fire in her home

Woman given oxygen therapy after electric blanket catches fire

15 December 2017

A Swanley family had a lucky escape after fire broke out in their Lynden Road home around 12.20am.

The woman was downstairs but fortunately smelt smoke, so went to investigate and found that an electric blanket that had been left switched on had accidentally caught alight.

Two fire engines were sent and found that the woman, in her early 50’s had thrown the electric blanket and a memory foam mattress out of the window, then poured water over them to extinguish the fire.  

In trying to tackle the fire herself, the woman unfortunately suffered from the effects of breathing in smoke. Fire crews gave her gave oxygen therapy and provided first aid until the ambulance arrived. 

The fire caused light smoke damage in the bedroom and damaged the blanket and memory foam mattress. 

Dartford Crew Manager, Richard Emery, said: “With the recent cold snap, we tend to see people using more electrical items in their homes to keep warm.  If you’re using an electric blanket, electric fan heater or any other form of electrical appliances, please make sure they are in proper working order, fit for purpose and that you turn them off when you leave the room or go to bed at night."

“If you’re using multi-socket extension cables and adaptors please don’t plug too many appliances in and overload them and make sure extension cables are fully unwound before use. 

“People think we’re life-savers but your smoke alarm is the real hero in your home. So test them regularly and don’t be tempted to remove the batteries. Buy extras for Christmas presents and have a safe and happy time.” 

Kent Fire and Rescue Service is also reminding people to please check on their elderly neighbours, relatives and friends to make sure they are safe and well this Christmas. 

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon