Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News releases > January 2018 > Overheated head torch charger leads to fire
Overheated head torch charger leads to fire

Overheated head torch charger leads to fire

Dartford head torch charger fire
Head torch charger overheated causing fire

17 January 2018

Dartford firefighters are reminding residents to ensure electrical goods are switched off after they have been charged, following a near miss involving a head torch.

Crews were called to a Dartford Road flat after a resident noticed smoke coming from her bedroom but was unsure what was on fire. She quickly closed the door, got out of the property and dialled 999.

Firefighters discovered a small fire which they extinguished. It is believed the fire was caused as a result of a head torch that had been left on charge. It appears that the batteries had overheated, scorching the carpet and creating smoke in the bedroom. Crews ventilated the property.

Fortunately, there was no significant damage, however crews are warning that the situation could have been far worse if the resident had been out or asleep.

Dartford Crew Manger Neil Jones said: “Although there was a smoke alarm in the property, it was faulty and therefore didn’t go off. If the occupier hadn’t noticed the smoke, it could have developed into a more serious blaze, resulting in much more damage and put the occupant at risk.

"Our advice is to make sure electric items are unplugged once they are fully charged, to avoid the risk of them overheating. In addition, we are reminding all residents to make sure they have a smoke alarm fitted on each floor of their home and that they test them weekly, to ensure they will alert you to a fire.”

Find out more about keeping safe from fire

Melted batteries after charger overheated
Melted batteries after charger overheated
Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon