A Whitstable family have their smoke alarms to thank for alerting them to a fire in their home in the early hours of this morning (23 June 2017).
The family was woken just before 3am this morning and realised that their dishwasher had caught fire in the kitchen of their home in Pean Hill.
Crews in breathing apparatus went into the house and used a hose reel and positive pressure ventilation fan to extinguish the fire. Firefighters left the property at around 4am.
Whitstable crew manager Darren Dennis said: “On discovering the fire, the family did everything right. Fortunately, they had working smoke alarms which alerted them to the blaze, giving them time to get out of the property safety and dial 999. Their prompt actions allowed us to quickly put out the fire, limiting the damage to the dishwasher and surrounding units. Smoke damage was also minimised because they closed all internal doors as they left their home.”
This incident highlights how vital it is to have working smoke alarms on every floor of your home and to test them regularly.
The crew is encouraging residents to carry out the following simple checks before going to bed or leaving their home:
Close inside doors to stop a fire from spreading
Turn off and unplug electrical appliances unless they are designed to be left on, such as fridges and freezers
Mobile phones and tablet computers should not be left charging overnight or while you are not at home
Don't leave dishwashers, tumble dryers or washing machine running overnight or while you are out
Make sure cigarettes are completely stubbed out and never smoke in bed
Check that your escape routes are clutter free.
For further safety advice call us on 0800 9237000 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.