Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News releases > March 2017 > Smoke alarm helps prevent a kitchen fire in Rochester
Smoke alarm helps prevent a kitchen fire in Rochester

Smoke alarm helps prevent a kitchen fire in Rochester

15 March  2017

A Rochester resident has a neighbour to thank for raising the alarm and preventing a fire yesterday afternoon (14 March 2017), after cooking was left unattended on a hob.

Firefighters were called to the property after the neighbour heard the smoke alarm and spotted smoke coming a house in the Tideway, Rochester at 2.16pm.

Two fire engines were sent to the scene and crews entered the property through an upstairs window.

They removed a pan of burnt eggs that had boiled dry on a gas hob in the kitchen and had started to smoulder, causing thick smoke to activate the smoke alarm.

Firefighters led a dog out of the house and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke.

Fortunately, the dog is believed to have been unharmed and there was no lasting damage to the property, however crews are warning that the incident could have been a lot worse without the swift action of the neighbour and the working smoke alarm.

Rochester crew manager Nicholas Dunnet said: “This incident highlights how important it is to have working smoke alarms in your home. The smoke alarm provided early warning before  a fire had time to take hold and, thanks to the neighbour calling 999, prevented a more serious incident.

“We would advise residents to take extra care not to leave cooking unattended and to ensure that cookers and hobs are switched off if you have to go out, even if it is only for a short time.”

For more home safety advice or to check to see if you’re eligible for a FREE Safe and Well Visit by KFRS, please call 0800 923 7000.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon