Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News releases > October 2017 > Burnt to a crisp
Burnt to a crisp

Burnt to a crisp

Fotolia_123927793_Subscription_Monthly_Mcrisps.jpg

18 October 2017

Kent Fire and Rescue Service responded to reports of a kitchen fire in Ashford at 9.30am this morning, (Wednesday).

Two fire engines rushed to the first floor maisonette in Brookfield Road and found that the cooker had inadvertently been switched on, setting light to a multipack box of crisps that had been left on the hob.

Ashford Watch Manager, Kevin Surridge said: “The household left their home but the man and woman went back inside after borrowing a fire extinguisher from a neighbour. They were given oxygen as the scene before being handed into the care of South East Coast Ambulance Service.”

Two firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hose reel to damp down the small fire and a special fan to clear the smoke.

Kevin added: “This incident highlights the need to take extra care in the kitchen, please don’t use your cooker as an extra storage space. If you have an electric hob it’s worth switching it off at the power socket when not in use, especially if you have young children or pets in the house who might knock the switch on accidentally.”

The small fire caused minor smoke damage throughout the maisonette and fire crews left the property just before 11am.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon