Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > News > News releases > September 2017 > Woman's lucky escape from kitchen fire
Woman's lucky escape from kitchen fire

Woman's lucky escape from kitchen fire

Picture of a chip pan fire
Older style deep-fat fryers can be a real hazard in the kitchen

14 September 2017

An elderly Whitfield woman has her quick-thinking neighbours to thank for coming to her rescue this evening after fire broke out in her kitchen.

The neighbours were alerted to the blaze in Guildford Avenue, after hearing the smoke alarms sounding and went to investigate. After discovering smoke billowing out of the house, one neighbour phoned the fire service on 999, while a second went into the terraced house. After putting a fire blanket over the hob he led the woman to safety. 

Two fire engines were quickly on the scene and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to put the fire out. 

Dover Watch Manager, Jamie Muddle explained how the fire started: “The woman had put some oil on to cook her dinner and left the room for a short while. Unfortunately, as we've seen this evening, a fire can start very quickly and the effects can be devastating.  

“Luckily, the woman had working smoke alarms that did their job and her neighbours to thank for her lucky escape. The fire had taken hold of the kitchen, destroying the cooker, extractor and kitchen units and causing smoke logging throughout the terraced house.” 

Firefighters also used a thermal imaging camera to check for fire spread and hot spots. 

Jamie ended: “If you’re still using a chip pan or traditional fat fryer in your home, please be sure to follow these simple tips to reduce the risk of a fire in your home.” 

Chip pan safety tips:

  • If the oil starts to smoke it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool    

  • Never fill a pan more than one-third full of fat or oil

  • Don't leave pans on the hob when you're not around. Take them off the heat if you have to leave the kitchen and switch off the hob

What to do if a pan catches fire:

  • Turn off the heat under the pan if it’s safe to do so and allow it to cool completely

  • Don’t try to move the pan

  • Never throw water over it - the effects can be devastating

  • It’s safer to leave firefighting to the professionals, leave the room and close the door on the fire. Get everyone out of your home and call the fire service on 999

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon