You are here: Home > News > News releases >

Smoke alarm alerts resident to flat fire

22 February 2013

The benefits of having a working smoke alarm were once again highlighted following a fire in a Gravesend flat this morning.

Two appliances were called to Rose Street shortly after 1am in response to a resident reporting a fire in his living room. Crews wearing breathing apparatus quickly put out the blaze using a hose reel jet and vented smoke from the property.

The fire is believed to have started when smoking materials were accidently knocked over causing the carpet and sofa to smoulder before catching alight. Thankfully the flat was fitted with a working smoke alarm which woke the resident who was then able to get out of his home and call the emergency services.

Due to the quick actions of the occupier and crews, the fire was prevented from spreading any further throughout the flat. The resident was given oxygen at the scene after suffering from smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital for a precautionary check.

Thames-Side Crew Manager, John Allwright, said: “This incident shows just how important it is to fit and maintain working smoke alarms in your home. Without the alarm activating, the fire could have remained undetected not only causing more damage but also putting the victims’ life at risk.

I would also urge people who do smoke in the home to ensure that cigarettes and cigars are fully stubbed out before being discarded.”

For further advice on how to keep you, your family or a neighbour safe from fire call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 923 7000 or go to www.3breaths.info for further information.

Site tools

Accessibility

Add This

MyLinks


Values: As an organisation we will always be open to change