New regulations will mean all landlords are required to:
- Fit at least one smoke detector on each floor of their premises.
- Fit a carbon monoxide (CO) detectors in rooms containing a solid fuel appliance - please note gas appliances are covered by other regulations.
- Check that all detectors are working when a new tenancy starts.
Free smoke/carbon monoxide alarms for private rental landlords
The Government is working with local fire and rescue services to distribute nearly 500,000 free detectors to help landlords prepare for the new regulations.
1. Read the acceptance advice
If you’re a landlord for a private rental property in Kent and Medway, you can apply for your free smoke/carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure you read the acceptance advice to see if you qualify.
2. Complete and return the smoke/carbon monoxide detector request form
Once you have completed the form, you will need to ensure you complete a smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector request form. Please return the form to us via email and we will contact you to arrange a collection point.
3. Meet us to collect your detectors
The meeting will take place at a fire station near you. You will be asked to sign the form you sent us to confirm you have received the number of alarms you requested.
Please note that there are limited supplies of smoke/carbon monoxide detectors available on a first come, first served basis.