Are you aware that the Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulates care premises?
You can find reports on the homes that you are considering on the CQC website.
Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) enforce fire regulations in residential and nursing care premises, however; here are some simple questions you will find useful and may want to ask your care provider.
Free email advice and information
Are you caring for someone who may become lost or confused while out of their home?
Kent Police and Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) have a form to assist you and them to locate or search for individuals.
This form should be completed as soon as you can, to help in the event of an emergency. We would encourage you to spend time with your loved one completing this form whilst you’re relaxed, comfortable and able to think clearly ahead of a possible situation.
Are you a personal carer at home or in a relative’s home? Did you know you might be eligible for a free KFRS Safe and Well Visit?
If you are:
- Over 70 or your cared for loved one is over 70
- Caring for someone living with dementia
- Living with children under the age of 5 in the property
- Live with 5 or more occupants in the property
- A smoker
- Live with potential fire setters (someone who is likely to start a fire)
- Live with a disabled occupant
- Live with someone who doesn’t feel safe in their home
If you have said yes to any of the above:
Please call our Safe and Well Visit team on 0800 923 7000 for some home safety advice or to see if you’re eligible for a visit from our team.
If you’re not eligible for a Safe and Well Visit, did you know there are extra steps you can take to help keep your loved one safe?
There is a selection of fire safety aids available to buy that can help keep you and your loved one safe and independent, including:
- Smoke alarms with warning lights and vibrating pads for the deaf or hard-of-hearing
- Fire-resistant sheets and pillowcases
- Remote smoking ashtrays
- Automatic shut-off switches for ovens and hobs
- Electrical socket guards
- External post boxes
- Key safes