Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Home > Your safety > Business safety > Safer Living > Relative or friend in Specialised Housing?
Relative or friend in Specialised Housing?

Relative or friend in Specialised Housing?

Safer Living home page banner

Free email advice and information

Sign up for safety advice and information about Specialised Housing

Regulation and housing advice

Are you aware that Specialised Housing is regulated by the Fire Authority and Local Authority?

You can find further information about Specialised Housing on the Elderly Accommodation Counsel website. 

Take some time to look through these frequently asked questions that you may find helpful:

Does my loved one need a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP)?
While detailed PEEPs need not be prepared for every resident, information should be collated in respect of any resident with particular cognitive, mobility or other issues affecting their ability to respond to fire alarm signals. This should be updated based on their needs. 
A person-centred fire risk assessment should consider how likely the resident is to contribute to the likelihood of fire or fire development, the mental capacity of the resident to recognise and respond appropriately to fire alarm signals or signs of fire, and the ability of the resident to escape in the event of fire. 
Last updated
Helping your loved-ones to stay safe

Are you caring for someone who may become lost or confused while out of their home?

Kent Police and Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) has a form to assist you and them to locate or search for individuals.

This form should be completed as soon as you can, to help in the event of an emergency. We would encourage you to spend time with your loved one completing this form whilst you’re relaxed, comfortable and able to think clearly ahead of a possible situation.

Free safe and well visits

Did you know that your loved-one might be eligible for a free KFRS Safe and Well Visit?

If they are:       

  • Over 70 or your cared for loved one is over 70       
  • Caring for someone living with dementia        
  • Living with children under the age of 5 in the property        
  • Live with 5 or more occupants in the property        
  • A smoker        
  • Live with potential fire setters (someone who is likely to start a fire)   
  • Live with a disabled occupant
  • Live with someone who doesn’t feel safe in their home.   

 If they have said yes to any of the above:

Please put them in touch with our Safe and Well Visit team on 0800 923 7000 or by email: for some home safety advice or to see if they're eligible for a visit from our team.

If they are not eligible for a Safe and Well Visit, did you know there are extra steps you can take to help keep your loved one safe?

There is a selection of fire safety aids available to buy that can help keep you and your loved one safe and independent, including:

  • Smoke alarms with warning lights and vibrating pads for the deaf or hard-of-hearing
  • Fire-resistant sheets and pillowcases
  • Remote smoking ashtrays
  • Automatic shut-off switches for ovens and hobs
  • Electrical socket guards
  • External post boxes
  • Key safes

Sign up for free email advice and information to help keep your loved ones safe.

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon