Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Home > Your safety > Business safety > Safer Living > Specialised Housing provider?
Specialised Housing provider?

Specialised Housing provider or manager?

Safer Living home page banner

Free email advice and information

Sign up for free email alerts and information about keeping your premises compliant with regulations and safe for your residents and staff.

Free seminars

Sign up for one of our free seminars for find out more about fire safety in specialised housing.


Are you aware that Specialised Housing is regulated by the Fire Authority and Local Authority?

Find out more about your fire safety responsibilities.

You can find further information on Specialised Housing on the Elderly Accommodation Counsel website.

Top tips for dealing with an emergency

Take some time to look through these frequently asked questions that you may find helpful:

What information and training must I provide for my staff?
According to article 21 (2a) of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 The training must include: 
a) Suitable and sufficient instruction and training on the appropriate precautions and actions to be taken by the employee in order to safeguard himself and other relevant persons on the premises. 
b) Be repeated periodically where appropriate 
c) Be adapted to take account of any new or changed risks to the safety of the employees concerned. 
d) Be provided in a manner appropriate to the risk identified and take place during working hours. 
Last updated

Further ways you can help your residents stay safe in their homes:

Did you know you that your residents might be eligible for individual free KFRS safe and well visit?

If they are:

  • Aged over 70 years
  • Caring for someone living with dementia
  • Living with children under the age of 5 in the property
  • Live with 5 or more occupants in the property
  • A smoker
  • Live with potential fire setters (someone who is likely to start a fire)
  • Live with a disabled occupant
  • Live with someone who doesn’t feel safe in their home.

If you have said yes to any of the above:

Please put them in touch with our Safe and Well Visit team on 0800 923 7000 or by email: for some home safety advice or to see if they're eligible for a visit from our team.

If they're not eligible for a Safe and Well Visit, did you know there are extra steps they can take to help keep themselves safe?

There is a selection of fire safety aids available to buy that can help individuals stay safe and independent, including:   

  • Smoke alarms with warning lights and vibrating pads for the deaf or hard-of-hearing
  • Fire-resistant sheets and pillowcases
  • Remote smoking ashtrays
  • Automatic shut-off switches for ovens and hobs
  • Electrical socket guards
  • External post boxes
  • Key safes.

Sign up to receive free email advice and information about keeping your residents and staff safe

Top tips

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon