Safe and Well - Are you an older person?
If you or someone you know is 70 years old and over, we can visit and make your home, or theirs, as safe as possible, to give greater peace of mind, and to help keep independence and people living in their homes for as long as possible.
- Take steps to avoid slips trips and falls
- Test smoke alarms regularly – they will give you the best chance of escaping safely if you have a fire.
- Request a review of your prescriptions from your pharmacy or GP – especially if you are on five or more medicines.
- Keep your kitchen clean and clutter free to reduce fire risk.
- Using a kitchen timer is a good way of helping people to remember that something is cooking.
Get more help and support to living a safer life as an older person.
Following these five steps to keeping safe and well
Please follow our simple STEPS to feel ‘Safe and Well’:
- S is for SLIPS – Are there potential tripping hazards like lose carpets or misplaced cables?
- T is for TEST – Is the smoke alarm working? Check this weekly. Do the batteries need replacing?
- E is for ELECTRICS – Can you spot any hazards like overloaded sockets?
- P is for POTS AND PANS – Does the oven or hob need a clean to reduce risk of a fire in the kitchen?
- S is for SMOKING – If you smoke, always fully stub out cigarettes.
To book a FREE Safe and Well Visit:
Call our Safe and Well Visit team on 0800 923 7000 during normal office hours or send an email or complete this form and we’ll contact you.
Our home safety officers or firefighters will visit your home at a time convenient for you, and together with you will tailor the visit to suit your needs and the type of property you live in. A typical free visit takes around 45 minutes and includes the fitting of free smoke alarms where necessary, as well as vital advice to help you stay safe and well.
Please note: our staff always carry official identification and you can contact usto check that they are a genuine employee of Kent Fire and Rescue Service.