Kent Fire & Rescue Service
Navigate
Home > Your safety > Home safety > Students
Students

Students

Students.jpg

Here at Kent Fire and Rescue we want all our students in the county to enjoy their new student life. So whether you're living in halls or private accommodation, it's important to keep yourself and your home safe from fire.

Here are some tips and advice to live by:

  • Extension sockets have limits.  To avoid the risk of overheating and possibly fire, you should never plug into an extension lead or socket appliances that together use more than 13 amps or 3,000 watts of energy. It could explode, no joke, it can! Use the socket overload calculator to check if you're overloading yours.

  • Unplug phone chargers and hair straighteners if they're not in use. If you are using them then be sure not to cover the plugs with clutter or last night's kebab.

  • Studying can be stressful and we all need to de-stress every now and then. So if you're using candles to create your moment of Zen then make sure you keep them away from anything that can catch fire easily. That includes your hair...

  • If you do smoke then make sure you put it out properly before moving away. You'll be surprised at how often people think they have but it's still lit. Better still...why not quit?

  • Most fires are linked to cooking. So if you're trying to impress a date or think you're the next Gordon Ramsey, keep your cooker clean and free from clutter and don't get distracted, even if you can't wait to Snap Chat your dance moves.

  • Being drunk and cooking don't mix. That's a no brainer!

  • You'll probably get sick of planning, most of your student life can be around planning. Planning when to wake up, planning when to go out, planning projects, classes, etc etc. But if there was one plan that could help save your life, it's an escape plan. Make sure you have one in place so that you and everyone in your home knows what to do in the event of a fire.

  • We know what you're thinking...'when will this end?'...don't worry, this is the last one - if there is a fire, get out, stay out and call 999. 

Connect with us
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • YouTube icon
  • Flickr icon
  • GovDelivery icon
  • Instagram icon