We work with partner agencies to reduce crashes, deaths and
serious injuries on Kent and Medway's roads. Each agency also has a
group it focuses on - ours is young drivers.
The facts about young drivers...
- Road crashes are the biggest killer of teenagers
- An 18-year-old is more than three times as likely to be
involved in a crash than someone in their 40s.
- One in five new drivers is involved in a crash in their first
year of driving.
- Young male drivers aged 17 to 20 are seven times more at risk
than other male drivers, and between the hours of 2am and 5am their
risk is 17 times higher.
Keep yourself safe
- Never get into a car with a driver who has been drinking or
- Remember: No seat = No space.
- Never distract the driver. It only takes a split second to lose
concentration and crash.
- Mobile phones are a dangerous distraction. As a driver always
turn your mobile phone off before setting out. Passengers should
set phones to silent so they don’t distract the driver.
- It is impossible for you to know how much alcohol will put you
over the limit – the safest option is not to drink.
- Drunk passengers may be more of a distraction for the driver.
Refuse to take anyone that you feel may be a risk to your ability
to drive safely.
Keep your vehicle safe
Direct video link: http://www.youtube.com/v/pB0kw0jNAUw
Check fuel line for wear and tear
- Loose or worn connections cause safety problems
- Check tread, pressure, damage (look out for embedded nails or
- Radiator - check fluid levels and top up if required
- Oil - check fluid levels and top up if required
- Lights should be functioning and clean
Your vehicle is your responsibility – windscreen wipers, child
seats and seatbelts should also be checked regularly.