Working with partner agencies to keep people safe and well
By working with other agencies we can help people to live safer, more independent lives – whether they are living with frailty, dementia, mental health concerns, a disability or old age.
We will accept referrals from any partner agency to arrange for one of our home safety officers to make a safe and well visit where they consider someone is vulnerable to the risk of fire.
A typical free home visit takes around 45 minutes and currently includes:
- Engaging with people to understand their lifestyle, behaviours and motivations
- Highlighting any risks from fire to the home owner
- Advising people how to reduce fire risks and encouraging safer behaviours
- Fitting smoke alarms where necessary
- Providing specialist equipment where necessary (e.g. fire proof blankets, deaf alarms etc.)
- Identifying and reducing risk of trips and falls
- Screening and making referrals to other agencies for support
- Offering advice about keeping warm in the winter.
Our home safety officers can make referrals to other agencies where they identify further support is needed, for example to Age UK and other charities, local authority social care, social services, health trainers, care navigators, etc.
Making a referral
To make a referral to us, use our online form and select Agency referral (including KFRS staff and volunteers) in question 1. Alternatively, you can view or download a copy of the partner agency referral form in Microsoft Word format. Please fill in as much detail as possible and send it to:
Kent Fire and Rescue Service, The Godlands, Straw Mill Hill, Tovil, Maidstone, Kent ME15 6XB; or email firstname.lastname@example.org or securely to DMHRC.Fire-Kent@nhs.net.
For more information, our home safety team can be contacted at email@example.com or call 0800 923 7000.