The need for corrective lenses will not stop you getting a job with us as long as the following standards are met:
- Unaided distance vision of 6/9 is currently thought to be a reasonable level as a minimum for safety critical work
- Near vision is currently recommended for those under 25 years old as an unaided minimum measurement of N6
- Soft contact lenses (silicon hydrogen lenses) only are permitted and are considered safe for use on the fire ground
- If you have had laser eye surgery it is currently recommended that entry to the service should be postponed for 12 months following surgery for stabilisation
- Defects in colour vision will be tested
All cases are assessed on an individual basis and advice will be sought from occupational health advisers.