The need for corrective lenses does not preclude employment as long as the following standards are met:
- Unaided distance vision of 6/9 is currently thought to be a reasonable level as a minimum for safety critical work.
- Near vision is currently recommended for those under 25 years old as an unaided minimum measurement of N6.
- Contact lenses are permitted.
- If you have had laser eye surgery it is currently recommended that entry to the service should be postponed for 12 months following surgery for stabilisation.
- Defects in colour vision are not a bar to entry, however for each case a vocational test in a fire ground setting is recommended.
It should be noted however that all cases are assessed on an individual basis and advice will be sought from occupational health advisers.