Women and children rescued from Tonbridge house fire
Kent Fire and Rescue Service responded to reports of a fire in East Street, Tonbridge at 2.38am. Two fire engines were sent to the mid-terraced house.
Two women and two children were rescued by fire crews, assisted by a member of the public from the flat roof of the property, following a fire in the front, ground floor kitchen.
Kent Police were also in attendance and officers closed the road, while firefighting took place. The fire caused heavy smoke damage to the whole property, fire damage was limited to the exterior of the property and a small area of the kitchen.
Fire crews found two cats safe and well inside the house.
Fire crews handed duty of care over to Southern Gas Networks shortly after 5am.
The road remains closed between Bordyke and the High Street following a subsequent report of a gas leak, resulting in a neighbouring property being evacuated as a precaution.
Southern Gas Networks teams are at the scene completing repairs.