Hot ash sparks fire in Mereworth
Firefighters responded to a fire in a car port adjacent to and beneath a property in Mereworth Road at 3.10am. Two fire engines were sent and crews used a high pressure hose reel, a short extension ladder, thermal imaging cameras and positive pressure ventilation fans.
The fire is believed to have started accidentally after the occupier had emptied hot ash from a chimney/log burner and stored them near dry logs.
Unfortunately, ashes that seem cold on the surface can remain hot deep inside for a long time. It's always best to douse them with cold water and store them in a metal container. Once cool, empty them onto bare soil.
After extinguishing the fire, crews spent time cutting away and damping down and left the scene close to 4.30am.