Firefighters were called to a chimney fire at a house in Railway Street, Northfleet. Crews tackled the fire in the chimney from the hearth using chimney gear, and from the roof of the premises with a hose reel jet, aided by ladders and safe access equipment. Crews removed the fire surround and attacked the fire behind it and inside the chimney cavity using a fogspike. This sprayed a fine mist in to the cavity to bring the temperature down and supress the fire. There were no reported injuries.
Firefighters are urging residents with open fires and wood burners to get their chimneys swept and checked before lighting them this Autumn, to reduce the risk of a chimney fire. Sign up to our clean sweep alert for a reminder: http://www.kent.fire-uk.org/news/campaigns/clean-sweep-alert/