Smoke alarm alerts neighbour to kitchen fire
The neighbours of a home in Mill Road, Deal have been praised by firefighters for calling 999 after they heard the smoke alarm sounding next door. The neighbours went to investigate and found a fire in the kitchen - the occupants of the house weren't at home. Firefighters arrived in under two minutes and managed to get into the house to extinguish the fire on the hob in the kitchen using a hose reel jet. A search of property was carried out and the home was then ventilated using a large fan. There were no reported injuries. It's believed the fire was accidental and is thought to have originated after a cardboard box was left on the electric hob, which had accidentally be flicked to the 'ON' position. Firefighters worked with the occupier of the property once they returned, and they carried out a Safe and Well Visit. The crews also spoke to residents living nearby about home safety. Due to the quick action of the neighbour, a working smoke alarm and crews arriving so fast - the fire, smoke and water damage to the property was limited to around 30 percent of the kitchen.