Electrical fire in bedroom of Greenhithe home
A fire in the home of a Greenhithe family is believed to have started due to a faulty multi-plug extension block which was covered by clothing that also caught fire. The alarm was raised thanks to a working smoke alarm on the upstairs landing. When firefighters arrived at the Wakefield Road property they found two men in their 50s experiencing breathing difficulties due to smoke inhalation; they were given oxygen, and then placed in the care of SECAmb paramedics. There were no other reported injuries. The fire, which was in the front bedroom was quickly extinguished by crews using breathing apparatus and hose reel jets.
Firefighters are encouraging people to think about making sure any electrical items likes plugs, sockets and appliances are free from any type of fabric, and are checked regularly for signs of wear and tear that could eventually lead to a fire. For FREE fire safety advice families are advised to call KFRS on 0800 923 7000.