Sunlight reflecting off mirror sparks bedroom fire in Ashford
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a bedroom fire on the first floor of a property in Woodchurch, Ashford, near Bethersden Road. Two occupants were outside on arrival, and a man was suffering with the effects of smoke inhalation after having gone back inside the building. He was checked over by SECAmb paramedics and didn’t need to go to hospital.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire, which destroyed the bedroom and smoke damaged the first floor of the property. The fire is believed to have started accidentally after sunlight reflected from a magnifying shaving mirror onto curtains.
Ashford Crew Manager Andy Harris said: “While these sorts of incidents are rare, we urge people to ensure mirrors and other reflective objects such as crystal and glass ornaments are kept out of direct sunlight.
“It’s really important that if you detect a fire in your property, to get out, stay out and call 999.”