Bin fire in Margate apartment block
Kent Fire and Rescue Service sent a large response to a high rise tower block when it was called to a fire at Invicta House on Millmead Road, Margate. Fire crews arrived to find smoke logging on all floors of the building due a small fire in the communal bin store. Firefighters extinguished the blaze using a hose reel jet. They also used a large ventilation fan to clear the smoke from all floors and lift motor room. It's believed the fire in the refuse bin was caused by discarded cigarette butts placed into the bin chute that ended up in the waste bin. The cause is accidental.
The blaze has prompted firefighters to urge residents living in tower blocks to be careful with what they dispose of into the bin chute / communal waste. Smokers are being reminded to fully extinguish cigarettes before they are thrown away in any situation. A discarded cigarette that's still alight can lead to devastating consequences if thrown out and allowed to smolder in furnishings or dry grassland.
Start date and time
Stop date and time
- Firefighting - High-pressure hose reel jet
- Firefighting - Positive pressure ventilation fan
- PPE - Breathing apparatus
Special and Support vehicles