News release text
A fire in a Rochester kitchen last night (Monday 18 March) has highlighted the importance of not leaving cooking unattended after a woman needed treatment for smoke inhalation.
Two fire engines were sent to the two storey house in Warrenwood Road shortly after 6pm to reports of a grill alight. Strood Crew Manager Ian Collins said: “The woman was cooking bacon which set light to the oven and set off the smoke alarms. We removed the pan and ventilated the property but the woman – who we believe suffers from asthma – had breathing difficulties so we gave her oxygen.
“There was some damage to the oven but fortunately the smoke alarms meant she had an early warning and the consequences fortunately weren’t more serious.”
Ambulance crews treated the woman – who is believed to be in her 50s - and fire crews left shortly before 7pm.
Ian Collins added: “If you leave the kitchen, turn the heat off as fire starts when your attention stops. Just three breaths of fire smoke can be fatal, so it’s vital that everyone has working smoke alarms in their homes. We offer free safety advice and services to everyone but there’s a lot you can do to keep yourself safe.”
Residents are advised to follow these tips to prevent fires in the kitchen:
Watch what you heat and don’t leave cooking unattended.
Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob
Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool
Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
Prevent children accidently turning on electric cookers by switching them off at the main after use
Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries weekly
If there is a fire, don’t take risks by tackling it yourself. Get out, stay out and call the fire and rescue service.