News release text
Firefighters are praising the efforts of a Swanley man, who helped avert a more serious incident by looking out for his elderly neighbour yesterday afternoon, (Tuesday).
Two fire engines from Dartford were sent to the property in The Spinney just before 2pm and discovered that the elderly man had forgotten he had left three pies cooking in his oven.
Dartford Crew Manager, Gary Miller said: “Fortunately, when the smoke alarms sounded one of his fellow residents went into the flat, turned the oven off and opened some windows and doors to ventilate the property. Had it not been for the neighbour’s quick thinking actions, the situation could have been much worse.
“If you have elderly or vulnerable neighbours or relatives, pay them a visit over the festive period to make sure they are safe from fire and other hazards. It can be quite difficult for older people to check their smoke alarms as they’re quite high up, test it for them and you could be helping to save that person’s life.”
Kent Fire and Rescue Service offers free home fire safety checks and advice. We also have a range of fire safety devices for visually and hearing impaired people. Get in touch so we can give essential fire safety advice, tailored to your home, needs and lifestyle. It’s free of charge – even the phone call.